- Don’t overcomplicate sub categories.
- Keep SC’s generic, across Family categories – where appropriate. E.g. Clearances, 3d model, Plan Rep etc
- Be consistent. Create a spreadsheet of when certain Family Categories & Family Subcategories are to be used.
- Manage and monitor all content
- When you want to change a Family’s category you must first clear any existing subcategories otherwise Revit® will load the Subcategories into the Project file under BOTH family categories in Visibility Graphics. This is almost impossible to remove from a project file once it has happened because you need to know exactly which family caused the problem and… what family category it was before it was changed to current family category. GOOD LUCK with that one. (I imagine a smart API’s…could solve this in future)
HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND IN THE VISIBILITY GRAPHICS MENU?
I am still amazed how many people still do highly repetitive tasks manually, over and over again. Use view templates for output views and to speed up documentation processes!!! If drafters are always switching off the same things to complete a specific task then create a View template for it. Use subcategories to give users control over families and how they appear.