When a Project file increases unreasonably it can affects productivity, output speed and sometimes even file stability.
WHAT INCREASES FAMILY SIZE OR FILE PERFORMANCE IN PROJECT FILES
It has been well documented by several experienced content creators internationally that the following items, when used in families, can negatively affect file performance. Please do your own research at Autodesk University for more information on these points. I won’t be justifying these comments in this document at this stage. (Too time consuming)
- Avoid Nesting – where appropriate and relevant
- Avoid voids in families, where appropriate
- Trigonometry formulas can slow down projects due to demanding families that require quite a bit of computing power to edit in Projects. Not always – but sometimes it may be better to have more parameters but simpler formulas.
- Arrays affect family performance dramatically but sometimes they can’t be avoided. Avoid parametric arrays in the rare instances where you know you won’t need to formulate or adjust the family and it represent a fixed size etc.
- Hide 3d geometry in plan views for large projects. Some even do it for elevations. Does improve performance.